Kenya avocados – level 1
Many farmers in Kenya grow corn. The sales are not good. Also, the weather is changing. Farmers look for new plants to grow.
Avocados are a good idea. Farmers harvest them for eight months. Avocados bring more money than corn.
Many small farmers switch from corn to avocados. They must learn how to grow avocados. Everything is new for them.
Kenya is the biggest seller of avocados in Africa. Kenya’s avocados travel to Spain, the Netherlands, Egypt, and the Middle East.
In August, Kenya starts to sell to China. The business is risky. Kenya is the first African country to export fresh avocados to China.
Difficult words: harvest (to pick crops or sell animals to eat), risky (possible that something bad or dangerous will happen), export (to sell products to another country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos