King Charles III – level 1
Charles is the son of Queen Elizabeth. She dies last September. Charles is 74 years old. He becomes king of the United Kingdom and 14 other countries. These countries are for example Canada and Australia.
On May 6, a big ceremony takes place in London. Charles’s second wife Camilla becomes the queen. They wave to people from the balcony of Buckingham Palace. Millions of people watch the ceremony on TV.
The royal family wants to show that they are modern. Some people think that the king and queen are important for meeting other leaders from different countries. Other people think that they are not important and cost too much money.
Difficult words: ceremony (a formal event which celebrates something), royal family (the king, queen, and other people who belong to their family).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think the significance of a monarchy is in modern society?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos