Kitesurfing record – level 3
A kitesurfing armada has broken a Guinness World Record in Spain.
Participants in the ride gathered at the Best Pro Centre in Tarifa on the south coast from the early hours of the morning on Sunday the 31st of August.
A strong easterly wind, peaking at 27 knots (50 kilometres per hour), blew off the Levante, dominated the ride and created serious challenges for the boarders shoring up at the end of the course.
Despite the wind, the army of boarders, made up of professionals and amateurs alike, went on to break the Guinness World Record for the largest en masse kitesurf, beating the 318 participants who took the record in 2013.
Sir Richard Branson, who broke the record in March for the most people riding a single kitesurf board, was unable to attend the event but sent his support.
Difficult words: armada (big group), participant (person who does something), shore (come to shore), en masse (in a group).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos