Krampus at Christmas – level 1
Central Europe has pre-Christmas folklore. This means the stories come before Christmas.
Central Europe has Saint Nicolas. It also has Krampus. Krampus is a demon. He goes with Saint Nicolas. He puts bad children in a basket. He wears the basket on his back.
Over 150 people dress up as Krampus in an Austrian town. This is a tradition. They scare people in the streets. They even symbolically beat people.
However, people that dress as Krampus are actually friendly. They are only wearing masks and costumes. They want to keep the Krampus tradition alive.
Austrians are still not sure if Krampus is OK for children.
Difficult words: folklore (old stories), symbolically (just for show), actually (in fact).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos