La Tomatina in Amsterdam – level 1
Dutch farmers cannot deliver food to Russia. The EU does not allow it. The farmers have a big problem because of this.
A few young people want to help the farmers, and they have a great idea. They organise a special event. At this event, people throw tomatoes at each other. Around 2,000 people come to the event. Everybody must pay €15. This money helps the farmers.
The Spanish La Tomatina inspired the event.
Difficult words: deliver (move and sell), allow (let), inspired (if you are inspired by something, you like it and create something which is similar to it).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think that the sanctions are any good?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos