La Tomatina – level 1
La Tomatina is a festival. It takes place in Buñol. Buñol is a town in Eastern Spain. This area is known for farms of tomatoes.
In 1945, children in Buñol have a food fight in the street. Then La Tomatina starts. People have a big tomato fight every year. The festival becomes very popular in the 1980s. People from all the world come to see it.
Last week, about 20,000 people are in La Tomatina. They throw 130 tons of tomatoes at each other. Some people wear goggles. Goggles keep their eyes safe.
When the fight ends, all the people are red from the tomatoes. The streets are red, too.
Difficult words: festival (an event, during which people celebrate something), popular (when many people like someone or something), goggles (special glasses which keep the eyes safe from water, snow, and other things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.