La Tomatina – level 2
La Tomatina festival happens in Buñol, a town in Eastern Spain; the area is a good place to grow tomatoes. At the festival, people throw over-ripe tomatoes at each other, and it is a popular attraction for tourists, too.
In 1945, children started a food fight in the streets of Buñol, and La Tomatina started there. In the 1980s, the festival became so popular that people from every corner of the world came to see.
Last week, about 20,000 people took part in La Tomatina, and they threw 130 tons of tomatoes at each other. Some people wore goggles to protect their eyes. The fight lasted one hour, and when it ended, everyone was covered with tomatoes, and the main street was red.
Difficult words: attraction (a place or event which many people come to see), ripe (fruit that is ready to eat), goggles (special glasses to protect the eyes from chemicals, water, snow, and so on).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos