Law Change in South Korea – level 1
This news is about a law in South Korea. It is a 66-year-old law. It makes abortions illegal. They are legal only in special cases.
The Constitutional Court of Korea looks into the law. It says that this law is against the constitution. The law must change. The Korean parliament must change it by the end of 2020.
Difficult words: abortion (stopping a pregnancy – ‘killing’ a baby inside a woman’s body), illegal (people must not do illegal things, but they can do legal things), constitutional (about the constitution – the most important law), court (an institution where lawyers work; they say if something is legal or illegal).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.