Legal Action against the UK – level 1
The European Union starts legal action against the UK. The UK must choose a candidate for the EU Commission.
British officials say that it is not possible. There are elections in December. The UK cannot choose a candidate for the EU Commission during this time. The situation is complicated. The new European Commission cannot start working without the UK candidate.
The European Commission must start on November 1. This is one day after Brexit. However, the date of Brexit changes. The new date is in January.
This means that the UK is a part of the EU. It must choose a candidate for the European Commission. The UK has time to choose a candidate until November 22.
Difficult words: legal action (the process when a court helps to solve a difficult situation), candidate (a person who wants to get a job or other people choose him or her for a job), election (the situation when people choose a person or people for a job, usually in politics).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos