Leopards in Russia – level 3
Three Persian leopards have been released in Russia’s Western Caucasus in the first ever attempt to reintroduce the endangered animals into the wild. The Persian leopard once widely populated this mountainous region but by the 1950s, its population declined dramatically, nearing extinction as a result of human activity.
In this video, conservationists look on as a trapdoor is lifted and two leopards leap out. They then run towards the trees in the distance.
These three leopards, called Victoria, Akhun and Killi will hopefully be the founders of a new Persian leopard population in Russia. They were born in the centre for breading and reintroduction of a leopard in Sochi National Park where they were specially trained to survive in the wild. Zoologists will monitor the released animals to locate and reach them in emergencies.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.