Less food for Palestine – level 1
The World Food Programme (WFP) does not have enough money. It cannot help everyone.
The WFP’s country director says that they will stop helping over 200,000 people from June. Most of these people are in Gaza and the West Bank. There is not enough food. The WFP gives poor Palestinians monthly vouchers or food. People get 10.30 dollars every month. This will change now.
If the WFP does not get more money, they will stop helping completely by August.
Some Palestinians protest outside the WFP offices. Gaza has 2.3 million people. 45% of them do not have a job. 80% of them need help from other countries.
Difficult words: poor (a person who has no or very little money), voucher (a piece of paper which people can use to pay for something), completely (fully or totally).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
How can the WFP raise more money to support those in need?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos