Lights in the Sky – level 2
Last week, people in Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington, US, saw unusual lights in the night sky. They thought that it was something from another world, but they soon found out the truth.
The lights were not planes or meteors but a SpaceX rocket. The rocket took off from Florida, US, on March 4, and engineers planned that it would leave the earth’s atmosphere. Then the rocket came back to the atmosphere and it started to burn. It seemed that the light were debris from the rocket, but scientists did not know if some debris fell to the ground.
People in Portland and Seattle were very excited because it was not usual for them to see lights in the sky. SpaceX rockets usually take off in other parts of the US where people can see lights in the sky very often.
Difficult words: meteor (a piece of stone that falls from the space), atmosphere (gasses around a planet), debris (pieces of something what breaks).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos