Lions can swim – level 3
A group of little lion cubs passed their swimming test, as their keepers introduced them to water at a zoo in Washington.
Lions and tigers at the zoo must pass the test to demonstrate their maturity.
The keepers tossed the cubs into a moat at the National Zoo and although irritated by the unexpected dunk, they all managed to swim safely to the side. All of the four 10-week-old cats held their heads above water, and three paddled to the shallow end and climbed on to dry land. A little one took a short cut instead, scampering out the same way that he entered.
Difficult words: toss (throw), moat (hole with water), irritate (to make somebody feel bad), dunk (getting in water), paddle (to swim with short, quick movements), scamper (to run with quick short steps).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What other tests do keepers at the National Zoo administer to demonstrate the maturity of their animals?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.