London Counts Its Animals – level 1
The year 2016 ends. Now it is 2017. People think about the old year. They plan for the new year.
London Zoo counts its animals. It starts with the big cats. It finishes with the smallest insects. There are around 18,000 animals in the zoo.
The numbers change. Animals die and animals are born. New animals come to the zoo. The zoo has two new baby tigers.
Zoos must count their animals every year.
Difficult words: count (find out how much of something there is), insect (a small animal like a bee or an ant), be born (come into this world from an egg or from your mother’s body).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos