Longest and deepest tunnel – level 1
Switzerland and a lot of Europe are celebrating. People open a new rail tunnel. It is 56 kilometres long. It gets as deep as 2.3 kilometres under the ground. This is the longest and deepest rail tunnel in the world.
The tunnel makes travelling much faster. You can travel from Zurich to Milan. The journey is 3 hours faster.
People build the tunnel for 17 years. They finish it on time. It costs them 12 billion dollars. Nine workers die.
Difficult words: deep (something deep goes far under the ground), journey (a trip).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.