Lots of People in Venice – level 3
At the start of a four-day holiday weekend, Venice installed gates on two of its bridges to control the number of tourists entering its narrow streets.
By early afternoon on Saturday, the police had shut no gates, but they were at the gates to close them should the numbers become overwhelming. The narrow streets of the city often become impassable during peak travel times.
Venice has struggled with its dwindling population for decades, but it also lives off of tourism.
Difficult words: overwhelming (too much), impassable (not able to be passed – moved through), peak (the busiest time), struggle (have problems dealing with something), dwindling (falling, getting smaller and smaller).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos