Lucky landing in Brazil – level 2
A Brazilian plane had a problem. Its front landing gear did not function. The plane made an emergency landing in Brasilia. To reduce the weight of the plane, the pilot circled the Brazilian capital and let out fuel. He then landed the plane successfully. None of the 49 passengers or crew of 5 were injured in the landing. The pilot managed to land the plane on its back wheels.
Airport fire crews sprayed the plane with foam to make sure it would not get on fire. One of the airport’s runways had to be closed because of the accident. Many flights were delayed.
Difficult words: landing gear (wheels), foam (thick water with bubbles), delay (make late).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you a teacher? Download the exercises for your class here. They are for free. You can copy them and use them in your class.
Would you panic if your plane had a problem?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.