Lying man from Wales – level 2
A man from Wales took more than £40,000 from an elderly neighbour. He didn’t want to appear in court, so he told people he suffered from quadriplegia.
Sadly, for the liar, South Wales Police found security camera videos of him. They saw him driving a car and walking around a supermarket.
The man finally came to court. He was in a wheelchair and had a neck brace. The court showed the video to him and he had to admit all charges.
Difficult words: quadriplegia (when you cannot move your legs or arms), neck brace (a thing which you put around your neck because it cannot hold your head up), charge (statement that somebody did something illegal or wrong).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
How would you punish the man?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.