Maccabi Games in Berlin – level 1
The Maccabi Games are held every four years. Only Jews compete in these games. This year, people hold the games in Berlin. More than 2,500 Jews come to the games. They come from 36 different countries.
Before World War II, there were 500,000 Jews in Germany. After the war, there were only 30,000. Many Jews died. Now, there are 250,000 Jews in Germany.
Difficult words: be held (to organise; to happen), compete (to try to win), were (past of “are”).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the games?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos