Man biked up Taipei 101 – level 1
This news is about sport. A man cycles up a tall building. It is the Taipei 101 tower. The building has 3,139 steps. It takes the man 2 hours and 30 minutes to get up.
The man is 33 years old. He is Polish. He is a teacher. This is his second record. His previous record is also good. He cycled up a tower in Melbourne. This building has 2,919 steps.
Taipei 101 was the tallest building in the world. Burj Khalifa in Dubai is the tallest building in the world. Burj Khalifa is 500 metres taller than Taipei 101.
Difficult words: cycle (to ride a bike), previous (before, from the past), was (past of “is”).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Pretty cool, isn't it?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos