Man cooks meat underground – level 2
In the past, people in Algeria cooked meat on stones. The method slowly changed, and a restaurant owner named Amer Halimi came up with something very special.
Halimi has a hole in the ground inside his restaurant. He puts charcoal in the hole, and he lights it. When the charcoal goes off, he puts the meat in the hole. Then he cooks the meat for 13 to 14 hours. He serves the dish with a special sauce which makes the meat crunchy but juicy at the same time.
Halimi is proud of his dish, and people from all over the country come to his restaurant to taste it.
Difficult words: charcoal (a black material which looks similar to coal), go off (to stop light or heat), proud (a feeling of happiness from something that you did or that you have).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos