Man finds gold coins – level 2
An amateur archaeologist uncovered 10 gold coins last October in northern Germany. Professionals with a metal detector came to the site and found 117 more gold coins.
The coins are of French, Belgian, Italian and Austro-Hungarian origins and date from 1831 to 1910. Someone probably buried them shortly after the Second World War. Archaeologists think the that coins were part of the German central bank’s gold reserves and someone probably stole them.
The hoard has been valued at around 45,000 euros, but the finder will only get 2.5 thousand euros finder’s fee. The coins will go on display at a local museum.
Difficult words: reserve (a place to keep something safe), hoard (a big amount of something), fee (an amount of money).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Have you ever found anything?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.