Man in Ice – level 2
An Austrian extreme athlete broke his own record when he spent more than 2 hours in a box of ice. Josef Koeberl’s record from last year was 2 hours, 8 minutes, and 47 seconds, and his new record is 2 hours, 30 minutes, and 57 seconds.
The event took place at the town square of Melk, Austria. Organizers filled a custom-made glass box with more than 440 pounds of ice, and Koeberl stepped in. He wore only swim trunks, and the ice reached up to his shoulders.
After the show, Koeberl said that it was not easy to fight the pain. However, he tried to imagine positive things in his mind, which helped him endure the pain. He was happy to feel the warm sun on his back again.
Difficult words: extreme athlete (a person who does dangerous and risky sports), custom-made (when someone designs or builds something for a specific person), endure (to undergo something unpleasant).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.