Man killed in Arkansas – level 3
The state of Arkansas executed its first death row prisoner in over a decade. The prisoner was put on death row in 1992 for the murder of his neighbour, Deborah Reese.
The spokesman of the governor spoke to the governor right after the execution. He was sombre and had a message to the media in the media room.
He said that it is a serious night all across Arkansas and that this is a responsibility which he does not take lightly. It is one of the most sad things that he had to do. In the end, however, the right thing was done. More importantly, for the first time since 1993, there is justice for Deborah Reese’s family.
Difficult words: execute (kill someone as a legal punishment), death row (a prison area where prisoners wait for execution), sombre (sad and serious).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.