Man rows from Canada to Australia – level 1
A British man starts to row from Canada to Australia. He wants to get to Australia by November. Bad weather stops him. His trip takes him an extra month.
Some days, he rows 15 hours a day. He rows for 14,500 kilometres. His trip takes him 209 days. He is the first person to do this solo.
In Australia, his wife and children meet him. Custom officials are there, too.
His wife says that he told her that he will not go on a boat again soon. She thinks that he will go on a boat soon.
Difficult words: row (to travel in a boat and use oars), solo (alone), custom official (a person who checks the people and their things when they come into a country).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you row?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.