Man throws cake at Mona Lisa – level 2
A man dressed as an elderly woman, and he came to the Louvre in Paris, France, on a wheelchair.
People saw him throwing roses, and then, he came to the room with Leonardo da Vinci’s famous painting of Mona Lisa. The man stood up, and he started to punch the painting. Luckily, the painting was protected by special glass.
The man then threw cake on the painting, which shocked everyone around him. Security took only a minute to lead the man away. The man shouted that people didn’t care about our planet enough.
In the 1950s, someone damaged the painting with acid. Since that time, people put glass over it to protect it.
Difficult words: wheelchair (a chair with wheels which people use it they can’t walk), punch (to hit with the hand), acid (a special mixture which can destroy things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos