Man tries to steal – level 1
This news is from China. A man goes in a gold shop. He tries on a necklace. This necklace is very expensive. It costs more than $3,000.
A shop assistant tells the man to return it, but he does not. He starts to walk away. He then runs away. One shop assistant begins to chase him. He catches the man. Police arrive at the scene. They arrest him. He is 27 years old. He stole the necklace because he needed money.
Difficult words: necklace (thing you wear around your neck), chase (follow and try to catch), arrest (take to police station).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think of this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.