Man “walks” again – level 2
A man fell from a second-storey window and the fall paralysed him from the waist down. Scientists treated the Irishman with robotic step training and stimulation of his spinal cord in Los Angeles.
The scientists said that he was able to control his leg muscles and take thousands of steps in the robotic suit. The man is the first person with complete paralysis who can work the robotic suit.
The scientists, however, do not call it walking because he needs the robotic suit to do it.
Difficult words: storey (floor), treat (to help a sick/injured person), spinal cord (the long line of nerves which is in your back that connects your brain to your body so you can move).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this man’s robotic suit?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos