Man with a knife in Manchester – level 1
A security camera in Manchester films a man. He has a big knife. He wields it. People around him are really scared.
Somebody calls the police. The police come in a few minutes. They take the man to the ground. They arrest him. He is 55 years old. Police ask him questions.
Difficult words: wield (hold a weapon out to prepare to use it), arrest (take to police station), take to the ground (hold someone on the ground).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the man? Why did he do this?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.