Man with no legs on a mountain – level 3
Overcoming the seemingly impossible, as double-leg amputee Chen Zhou reaches the peak of the Jianmen Pass in southwest China.
The 31-year-old, who lost his legs after falling from a train when he was 13, scaled the 2,000 metre-long mountain path using weighted blocks, chains and the support of onlookers.
It took Chen just four hours to reach the peak, where his wife was waiting to congratulate him.
And this isn’t a first for the intrepid climber. He’s topped China’s five sacred mountains, making him the first person to do so with just the support of his hands.
Difficult words: amputee (person who has had a limb amputated), scale (climb), support (to help someone feel stronger and to hold someone up), onlooker (somebody who is watching something), peak (top of a mountain), intrepid (fearless and adventurous).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.