Many lightning bolts in Venezuela – level 1
This news is about nature. There is an area in Venezuela. This area is quite special. Around 250 lightning bolts happen there per 1 square kilometre per year.
The lightning bolts are from clouds. These clouds are 5 kilometres high. During the rainy season, there are the most lightning bolts.
A scientist loves this area. He lived there as a boy. He thinks the lightning is beautiful. He wants more tourists to come to this area. He gets the area into the Guinness Book of World Records.
Difficult words: lightning bolt (a powerful and long light in the sky which is caused by electricity), square kilometre (km2), tourist (person who travels and visits places).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
I would like to visit that place one day, wouldn't you?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos