Marburg outbreak in Africa – level 1
Marburg virus is a dangerous disease. It is similar to Ebola. Sick people have a fever and diarrhea. They are very tired, too.
88% of sick people die. The virus is very infectious. It means that it spreads from one person to another easily. Equatorial Guinea is a small country in Central Africa. Last week, the country confirms the outbreak of the Marburg virus. It happens in the Kie-Ntem province. Six people die. 16 people could have the virus. More than 200 people are in quarantine. They must not meet other people.
At the moment, there is no medicine or vaccine for the virus.
Difficult words: diarrhea (when the body’s solid waste is more liquid than usual), outbreak (when a disease suddenly starts somewhere), quarantine (when people who are sick or could be sick must not meet other people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the Marburg virus?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos