Mass murderer in court again – level 1
Anders Breivik comes from Norway. He is an extremist. An extremist is a person with very strong and unusual political ideas. He believes that white people are better than other people.
Breivik is a mass murderer. He kills 77 people in 2011. He blows up a bomb in a car in Oslo. Eight people die.
Then, he goes to an island. He shoots 69 people. They are all young people. They go to a camp on the island.
A judge sends Breivik to prison for 21 years. Norwegian law says that the man can be free again after ten years. For this reason, Last week, Breivik comes to court. He gives a Nazi salute. It is a special greeting. German people use it during World War II.
Breivik says that he is not dangerous anymore. He says that he is brainwashed during the killing.
Difficult words: blow up a bomb (when a thing explodes into many pieces violently), mass murderer (a person who kills many other people), brainwashed (when someone makes a person believe something because he tells something again and again, and this person starts to believe it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.