McDonald’s does not have enough potatoes – level 2
The Fast-food company McDonald’s is running out of potatoes in Japan, so the company decided to sell only small portions of its fries. McDonald’s will not sell the medium or large portions of fries for about one month.
The reason is that the company brings potatoes from Canada. In recent weeks, the weather was bad in some parts of Canada. There were heavy snowstorms as well as floods. McDonald’s already had problems with potatoes in December with almost all 2,900 restaurants in Japan. This time, there were problems because of the weather in Canada and problems at sea.
The company said that it would give a discount on its menus, and it would not sell the evening menu with fries and chicken nuggets until the situation was better again.
Difficult words: run out (to have very little or nothing left), portion (the amount of food a person can eat), discount (when shops sell something for a lower price than usual).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos