Medical 3D printing helps babies – level 2
Two doctors who work at a university hospital in Michigan, USA, kept seeing babies die. The babies were dying because air could not pass into their lungs – their airways were not strong. The doctors wanted to help the babies.
They met one baby who was going to die very soon from this problem. They gave him a 3D printed airway splint. The splint kept his airway open, will grow with him, and later will dissolve so nothing will stay in his airway.
It is three years later and that baby, along with two more babies who had the same problem, is happy and healthy.
Difficult words: airway (air passes through this from your mouth to your lungs), splint (a thing that holds something), dissolve (to turn into nothing).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about medical 3D printing?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.