Mercury in the sky – level 2
On Monday, Mercury passed directly between Earth and the Sun. You could see it from the Americas, Europe, Africa and much of Asia. The transition lasted 7 hours.
The phenomenon happens 13 times every century. The last time it happened was 10 years ago in 2006 and the next time will be on November 11th, 2019.
The planet looked like a small black spot and it covered only a very small part of the sun, but looking at the sun with unprotected eyes can be very dangerous.
Difficult words: transition (when a planet moves in front of another thing in space), phenomenon (something which happens in nature), spot (a small round mark, a small circle).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.