Mexicans don’t like Trump – level 2
Burning effigies are part of the Mexican Holy Week. Traditionally, they represent Judas Iscariot who betrayed Jesus Christ. However, effigies are often modelled on unpopular political figures. And there is no one more unpopular in Mexico than Donald Trump.
People hung the effigy in the air and put fireworks inside it. It moved around as the fireworks blew up. In the end, Trump’s head exploded.
One Mexican, who came out for the celebrations, said that Mexico is truly tired of Trump’s nonsense. The people hope that he will not become the next president of the USA.
Difficult words: effigy (a model of a person), betray (to do something bad against a friend or a relative), figure (a person).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.