Mexico Women Protest – level 1
On last Monday, Mexican women protest against femicide. Their protest is to stay at home from work or school. Twenty-one million women work in Mexico. This can cost the government $300 million because they do not go to work.
However, the government, universities, and some businesses like the protest. It is part of International Women’s Day in Mexico. That is another large protest. Eighty-thousand people protest against violence against women.
In 2019 in Mexico, people kill about 10 women a day. Reports say that some of them die in the home.
Difficult words: protest (to show that you do not like something by your actions), femicide (when people kill women or girls), violence (when people hurt or kill or other people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos