Migrants Protest – level 1
The situation on the Greek island of Lesbos is very serious. A camp for migrants is on Lesbos. More than 13,000 people stay in the camp.
Two weeks ago, fire starts in the camp. The fire destroys the camp. People lose their homes.
Some families from Afghanistan build a camp in a small forest nearby. However, many people only walk around. They do not know what to do. They have nowhere to go.
Greek officials start to build a new camp. Many people are angry. They do not want to move to another camp. They want to leave Greece. They want to live in other countries in Europe.
People protest. This is when they do things to show that they are not happy. Greek police must do something. Greek police fire tear gas at the migrants.
Difficult words: migrant (a person who travels from one country to another), destroy (to break up into many small pieces), tear gas (a gas that makes your eyes hurt).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think that rugby should have tackling?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos