Minneapolis Protests – level 1
Police in Minneapolis, US, stop a black man. They make the man lie on the ground. One officer puts his knee on the man’s neck. The man says that he cannot breathe.
However, the officer keeps his knee on the man’s neck for seven minutes. The man stops talking. An ambulance takes the man to hospital. Doctors say that the man is dead.
The four police officers lose their job. However, people are not happy. People say that the officer kills the man.
Similar incidents happen in the past. People in Minneapolis get very angry. They start to protest before a police station. People set fire to stores. People take things from stores. The police must use tear gas and plastic bullets to stop the protesters.
Difficult words: incident (an event that people know about), tear gas (a thing that hurts the eyes, and police use to stop people), plastic bullet (a piece of plastic that a gun shoots and that hurts a person).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.