Mixed-race woman with leukaemia – level 2
In December, a twenty-four-year-old Thai-Italian woman found out that she had an aggressive form of leukaemia. Leukaemia is a very serious disease.
The best cure for the woman is a stem cell transplant, but it was hard for doctors to find a donor for her. She is mixed-race, and only three per cent of donors are mixed-race, too.
But thanks to a worldwide campign, people found a suitable donor. The donor’s identity is kept secret, but this person will donate his or her stem cells next month.
The campaign was not only about the one woman. It also showed everybody about the problems of mixed-race people who need transplanst.
Difficult words: cure (help), stem cell (a special type of cell – the smallest part of a living thing), donor (a person who donates – gives a part of their body to a person who needs it).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you know people who need transplants?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.