Moby the Boat – level 2
A man from Britain created a 20-metre boat, which looks like a whale. It took him 20 years and made him 100,000 pounds poorer.
The 73-year-old is planning to sail from a lake in Scotland to London and then to New York. The voyage across the Atlantic is going to be 5,600 kilometres long.
The boat’s name is Moby. He, of course, named it after “Moby-Dick”, the whale in Herman Melville’s famous book.
When somebody asks the former soldier why he’s doing it, he says, “why not? It is better than sitting and watching TV, isn’t it?”
Difficult words: sail (to travel at sea on a sailboat), voyage (a long journey or trip), former (-ex).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Would you ride this boat from England to New York?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos