Mosul Mosque – level 1
The Grand Mosque is in Iraq. It is in the city of Mosul, near the Tigris River. It is the largest mosque in Mosul. In the past, its name is Saddam Mosque. The name changes when the Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein´s regime falls.
Workers start to build the mosque in the 1990s. However, the mosque is still not complete today. Some events stop the work in the past.
During Saddam Hussein´s regime, the political situation in Iraq is difficult. Later, the terrorist group ISIS fights in Iraq. ISIS destroys many mosques and other buildings, too. In 2017, Iraqi soldiers win in Mosul.
Luckily, ISIS does not destroy this mosque. It is possible to fix it. In 2018, the building work can start again. It is not clear when it will end.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.