Mother in hospital – level 2
A mother from England was giving birth. She has a heart condition, so doctors gave her an epidural. This is an injection in the back, which numbs your nerves.
Five hours after giving birth, she did not have feeling in her legs. Doctors told her that it was fine, but when nothing changed the next day, everybody started to panic.
The mother had a blood clot, which was putting pressure on her spinal cord. After giving birth, now she had to be operated on. The mother and child could not see each other the first 6 days, and the mother is now in a wheelchair. People are investigating the incident.
Difficult words: numb (to have less feeling in your body), clot (a thick mass of blood).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.