Mummified animals – level 2
Mummification was a practice in Ancient Egypt. People used it to preserve dead bodies.
The Manchester Museum put together an exhibition. It shows that Egyptians also included animals in their practice. Some of the pieces on show are a little strange. One mummified crocodile has 8 heads.
Egyptians often used images of animals to communicate with the gods. They also created animal mummies and small bronze statues as gifts to the gods.
Difficult words: ancient (very old), preserve (to keep something good for a long time), exhibition (a show at a museum).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about these animal mummies?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos