Muslim Women in Europe – level 1
Some Muslim women wear clothing which covers their bodies. There are different types of these clothing. One type is the burqa. It covers the whole body. Another type covers only the face.
The burqa and other clothing like it are banned in some countries. Women must not wear them in public buildings or on public transportation. In Western Europe, these countries are Denmark, France, Belgium, and Austria. In Eastern Europe, it is Bulgaria.
The Netherlands is the newest country to ban these clothing. When somebody sees someone in a burqa, he or she can call the police. The person in the burqa then must pay money to the police. However, some people say that they will not call the police when they see somebody in a burqa.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.