Muslims and COVID-19 Vaccine – level 2
Almost 90% of the Indonesian population are Muslims and they practice Islam. There are halal products which Muslims can eat or use. Haram products are things which Muslims cannot eat.
Indonesia wants to start mass vaccination against COVID-19, but some people say that the vaccine is not halal. Some vaccines usually have gelatin in them and it often comes from pigs. Islam does not allow Muslims to eat pigs and pigs are not halal. This is the reason why many people are afraid to get the vaccine.
Indonesian Muslim officials must decide if it is okay to use the vaccine or not. A Russian company which makes the vaccine for Indonesia did not say it there was gelatin in the vaccine. Other companies which make vaccines for other countries said that their vaccines did not contain gelatin.
Difficult words: mass vaccination (when many people get a vaccine in a short time), gelatin (a material that comes from animals’ bones and skin, and people often use it to make cakes or glue), contain (when a thing has something inside it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.