Muslims in China – level 1
This news is from Xinjiang. Xinjiang is a western region in China. Muslim minorities live there. China is detaining these Muslims. China is putting them in camps.
China says that these camps teach the Muslims. However, some people see the camps. They say that the camps are like prisons or concentration camps. There are around 1 million people in those camps. China says that it is detaining the people to fight extremism and terrorism.
Twenty-two countries are worried about this situation. They send a letter to the United Nations. They want China to stop detaining the people. They want China to set the people free. They also want a leader from the UN to visit China. China says that the leader can come.
Difficult words: minority (a group of people who are different from most people in a country), detain (hold somebody somewhere and not let him or her leave), concentration camp (a camp where you keep many people in one place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.