Mysterious Discovery – level 1
Bret Hutchins is a pilot. He flies over the Utah Desert. He sees something unusual. He asks the second pilot to return to the place. They find a shiny mysterious monolith.
A monolith is a big piece of stone or rock. People build it as something to remember in the past.
This monolith is from metal. It is between 300 and 360 centimeters high. The rocks around it are big and red. It is a very unusual scene. It looks like the monolith does not belong there. But Hutchins believes that humans make the monolith.
Some people say that the monolith looks like a sculpture by John McCracken. John McCracken is an artist. He dies in 2011. Other people say that the scene reminds them of Stanley Kubrick’s movie ‘2001’.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.