Mysterious Discovery – level 2
Bret Hutchins was flying over a remote part of Utah, US, and he was counting sheep. Suddenly, he saw an unusual object. Hutchins asked the helicopter pilot to land and they could not believe what they saw.
A shiny metal monolith was there. It was about 300 to 360 centimeters high, and it seemed that somebody planted it in the ground. But there were big red rocks all around and it seemed as if the monolith did not belong there. Hutchins said that a man probably made the monolith.
Some people said that the object looked like sculptures by artist John McCracken who lived in New Mexico and New York until he died in 2011. Other people said that the monolith and the place where it was looked like a scene from Stanley Kubrick movie ‘2001’.
Difficult words: remote (a place that is far from towns or other places where people live), monolith (a big piece of stone or rock what is usually built as a monument or part of a building), planted (put), scene (a place where an action in a film or book takes place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos